Castles & Gardens
Enjoy great hospitality and first class accommodation at Falls of Holm bed and breakfast, a great base for anyone wishing to visit castles, gardens and other places of interest in Angus (Scotland’s birthplace).
Falls of Holm is only 6 miles from Glamis Castle, one of Scotland’s most impressive castles. Family home of the Earls of Strathmore and a royal residence since 1372, Glamis was the childhood home of HM queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and legendary setting of Shakespeare’s ‘Macbeth’.
One of the finest folk collections in Scotland is housed in the Angus Folk Museum, Glamis.
In Kirriemuir, Barrie’s birthplace is of great interest. The house contains a museum of J.M. Barrie’s achievements, and houses a Peter Pan display.
These and other great days out are further described at visit scotland website. There are many other attractions close by – here are just a few:
- Scone Palace, the crowning place of Scottish kings, where Macbeth, Robert the Bruce and Charles II were crowned. The traditional home of the Stone of Scone, it is also the family home of the Earls of Mansfield. It was the capital of Pictavia from the 5th Century onwards.
- The ruins of Arbroath Abbey, founded in 1178 – famous for being the venue for the assembly which signed the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320 asserting Scotland’s independence from England.
- The historic ships, Discovery and 46 gun warship, Frigate Unicorn, built in 1824 and now retired to Dundee.
- Glamis Castle gardens, grounds and pinetum – landscaped towards the end of the 18th century contain an Italian garden and nearby nature trails.
- Dundee Botanic Garden features many species of indigenous British plants as well as representative collections of important plants from all continents of the world.
This is just a sample. However, there are many more options for a great day out. Take a look at Angus and Dundee website – Attractions for lots of other alternatives.
EVENTS TO REMEMBER
Strathmore Highland Games, Glamis Castle
Glamis Extravaganza, Glamis Castle (Vintage Vehicles)
The Prom at Glamis
Cortachy Highland Games, Cortachy Castle
Glenisla Games, Glenisla
BROWSE LOCAL ACTIVITES
Bird Watching & Nature
Castles & Gardens
Shooting & Fishing